The following is a quick and easy, low-fat dessert from Off The Reservation by Glen Merzer, a novel with 20 vegan recipes by the author’s wife Joanna Samorow-Merzer, reprinted with permission.
I was sent a review copy, but have not had a chance to read it yet (sorry about that). On the other hand, there’s always time for a new recipe!
Recipe: Mixed Berry Cobbler
- ½ C all-purpose flour (or for gluten-free version, rice flour)
- 1 Tb arrowroot starch/flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ C almond milk (or soy milk)
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 3 Tb maple syrup
- 1 tsp zest of fresh lemon
- 1½ C mixed berries (blueberries, strawberries, blackberries, raspberries: frozen/thawed, or fresh)
- pinch of sea salt
- 1 tsp coconut sugar
- To create the batter: combine all-purpose flour, arrowroot starch, baking powder, and sea salt, and mix well in a bowl.
- In a measuring cup, mix and stir the almond milk, vanilla extract, maple syrup, and lemon zest.
- In the bowl with the dried ingredients, create a well in the middle.
- Pour the liquid mixture into the well.
- Stir gently until the consistency is smooth.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Put 1¼ C of the berries in a small baking dish.
- Spoon the batter over the berries.
- Scatter the remaining ¼ C of berres on top of the batter, and sprinkle with coconut sugar.
- Bake uncovered until lightly browned — about 40 minutes.
- Remove from oven and to retain moisture cover with a cotton cloth for at least 15 minutes before serving.
- Serve if desired with a scoop of non-dairy vanilla ice cream.
Preparation time: 10 minute(s)
Cooking time: 40 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 4
The result was a light and sweet treat that CRON-o-Meter calculated at 300 calories per ¼ recipe serving.
Note: If you use the book link above, I get a small cut of the sale (at no extra cost to you). Thank you.