Carded at 36

Please excuse me while I revel in a meaningless triviality and pretend it’s of consequence. Just this weekend, I was asked for my license (“carded”) at the grocery store for the 12-pack of non-alcoholic beer among my foodstuffs. OK, I know, you’re probably saying woop-de-doo, but I’m saying, woohoo! Hey, gotta celebrate the small things, right?

I wasn’t even wearing a baseball cap, my balding, almost shaved head serving as a billboard of sorts for the fifteen years since the privilege of imbibing certain fermented beverages had been governmentally granted me.

Better yet, the teller was a young man who himself appeared quite shy of the state sanctioned 21 years of age. Only if the questioner had been of the opposite sex could I have been more pleased. LOL.

Of course, it’s not the first time since entering my third decade of life that I’ve been carded, nor the latter half of those ten, but it’s still something I choose to take as a minor compliment despite the fear of employer reprimand that may have prompted it.

Leave A Comment: What’s the oldest at which you’ve been asked for proof of age… so far? (Senior discounts don’t count!) ;)

10 Responses to “Carded at 36”

1. Debbie says:

54 (a few weeks ago). In my community most places card everybody, gray hair and wrinkles or not.

2. patientia says:

I’ve been reading your blog for months and I thought you were a girl.

3. Mom says:

Nope, Patientia, he’s definitely a guy ! (He’s my son, she said proudly.)

Oldest age of being carded was my early 4o’s. Now my age really shows and no one cards me anymore. But not quite to senior discounts yet. LOL

4. River says:

The oldest I have been carded? A couple of years ago, it must be, I was carded at an airport bar. I was 67 at the time. Mind you, there was a sign which read ‘We card everyone’ so . . . . Otoh, I’m never carded for senior discounts LOL

5. Amera says:

OK. Maybe this isn’t the oldest age to be carded, but…how about being carded at 34 years old to buy lottery tickets (need to be 18 to buy these). This has happened to me several times.

6. Andrew says:

I think I was last carded at 40.And the kid didn’t look old enough to be selling beer.Am 56 now.When asked my age,when I answer,some people ask me for proof because they thought I was in my 40′s.Still have a full head of mid back length hair but with a lot of gray in it.

Andy

7. Em says:

48-last year and it was fun& it was by a member of the opposite sex! :-)
    and you were carded for non alcoholic beer???hmm weird

Thanks everyone for sharing! Pretty good. :)

@patentia You can check out my ugly mug and some older pics in the “my vegan story” link beneath it on my about page.

9. Rosie says:

I’ve never been carded. Not even when buying vodka at 16 (I KNOW)!
    And you know what, I was flirting with this guy once, saying ‘how come you never check me for ID?’ (I was probably 28 or so at the time) and then he refused to serve me because. I. Had. NO. ID!

He clearly did not want me to flirt with him any longer!

LOL, Rosie, maybe they figured no one would brave purchasing hard stuff under age? ;) Too bad about the flirt gone bad. BTW, got carded again for N/A beer, and this time it was a young lady. Yay!