SurfShelf Treadmill Desk

My new SurfShelf finally arrived! (I got the shipment notice from the USPS about a week ago.) Anyway, if you can’t tell, I’m psyched. :)

On the very first outing, I easily spent an hour on it. I thought I’d have to set the treadmill speed at something like 1 MPH to get anything done, but found I could still type competently at 3 MPH, so that’s what I did. It’s not quite ergonomically correct though, and I could feel it immediately in the wrists.

On the other hand, if you only plan on watching videos (you’ll want to use headphones, if you’ve a loud treadmill), live chess, or reading emails or books online, you could easily walk faster as there’s no jiggle to the setup.

The instructions were confusing at first, but once you get the general idea, the exact configuration of straps seems quite forgiving.

For example, in these pictures, you can see I have the strap in the front coming over the magnetic on switch, so I ended up looping it under the bar. Also, they provide a second strap in case you don’t have a crossbar at all. In that case, you’d loop one around the left arm and one around the right. There’s also a velcro strap to secure the laptop on the shelf.

Definitely a good investment and a heck of a lot cheaper than the elaborate wooden treadmill desks! Now, I just need to make sure I don’t spend TOO much time on it or I’ll rack up the electric bill. ;)

PS – Until the end of August, they’re offering a promotional coupon code, good for $5 off (basically S&H). Highlight between the brackets for your limited-time discount [surfshelfsummer5].

8 Responses to “SurfShelf Treadmill Desk”

Cool… I’m on it again as I type this comment. Going 4 MPH now and figured out the proper slant for more comfortable typing. Wrists are doing fine. This could work! :)

2. debbie says:

This looks great! Trouble is, I use the treadmills and stationary bikes at the gym — how much of a hassle do you think it would be to schlep this to the gym and attach to a variety of machines? I probably would limit it for use on just two, maybe three machines so I wouldn’t have to figure every single machine there. Is this doable do you think?

You might get good at it after awhile. ;) (Took me forever to set-up the first time, but I’m a software guy not hardware. LOL.) The good thing about carrying it is the L-shape is actually in two, sturdy, pieces. Still kind of big though. Let me know how it goes. Bet you’d have a lot of jealous onlookers!

4. Charles says:

Erin, looks like a good item especially in the Winter. I’m in honduras in week three trying very hard to stay on the diet. yesterday had the most amazing fruit i’ve ever eaten, at night had beans, rice and plantains (fried unfortunately, but i had to eat or i was going to die). Diving tomorrow on teh island of Utila will present significant challenges to diet, but i’ll do my best. So far i’ve stayed away from the amazing mango pudding they sell in teh street here in La Ceiba. Anyway, instead of complaining i’ll be happy that i’m getting tons of exercise in the ocean rather than on the treadmill:) (but i’d be on the treadmill too if i were at home). not sure how much i’ve lost since i’m not really focusing on weight, but i feel amazingly good despite serious and frequent lapses in coffee consumption.

5. Amera says:

I am interested in getting one of these eventually, but seem to have missed the coupon deal. For all those that missed out on this deal the first time around (myself included), please let us know if another coupon comes along so we can take advantage of it. Thank you!

6. [...] may recall, a while back I wrote about the Surf Shelf laptop tray which lets me use the laptop while on my treadmill. (I hear it can also be used on other exercise [...]

Amera, I’ve acquired a new custom made discount just for my readers. Here’s where I’ll be keeping the latest SurfShelf “gift certificate code”.

8. Sylvia says:

I need one of these! I think I could lose some weight while working if I had one.. I’m just a little concerned about the awkwardness of the wrist positioning– I have some trouble there. Looks like a great idea!