Low-Fat Livin’

Perhaps you’ve noticed a fair amount of talk lately of nuts and nut butters on my blog. Maybe you’re thinking, “Yeah, Erin, what gives? Thought you were Mr. Low-Fat.”

Busted! Indeed, my fat consumption has been, according to my nutrition software, averaging 15% of calories over the last quarter.

Blame it on a tough winter, reporting on the recalls, and the nut butter oil experiment (I know… call me a martyr. Ha!), but the fact remains, while low by AMA standards, it’s still higher than I’d prefer.

So, thank you for sticking with me. I really hope I wasn’t a bad influence. Don’t let me be your excuse! ;)

Anyway, it’s starting to feel like spring here. My winter pounds remain, my body fat percentage is up, and I feel better when I consume less fat, even the good kind. Therefore, I’m recommitting to 10% fat. Starting today.

The sun is shining. Life is good. :)

6 Responses to “Low-Fat Livin’”

1. brivari says:

So what are your calorie goals? The last good pre-agribiz lobbyist data I saw was for mature adults to consume approx. 75% carb calories, 15% fat cals and no more than 10% protein cals. Based on that data you’re right on target.

I aim for 20% protein, which my records show I’ve nearly hit over the same last quarter. My fat fluctuates between 10-15% depending on the season, my moods, etc.. The rest comes from healthy carbs and a daily glass of vino (red) or craft beer. Calorie goal for now? 2000.

3. brivari says:

So are you trying to go up to 2000 cals or down to 2000?

And this will sound weird, since the meatie types run 30+% protein cals, but why so high on the protein? Or are you trying to get down to 20%?

Depends when you ask the questions? ;) And you?

5. brivari says:

LOL

I keep pretty close to 2000cals, prolly need to drop a hundred or so (getting older does that to you). You already know my target numbers, the only one I have ‘trouble’ with is protein. I’m usually closer to 15% than 10%, if I was really worried about it I could always eat a bag of veganly buttered cornstarch ‘-)

6. Mark says:

Aw, don’t beat yourself up on the 15%… that’s still a reasonable percentage according to the Essy’s, Ornish, McDougall, etc. I think it’s somewhat normal to be a bit higher during Winter on the fat calories.

Also, best wishes for your major life transition… sorry to read that you were laid-off, but admire your determination and preserverence in pursuing other independent options (especially those in line with your dietary lifestyle efforts).

Best wishes for success… Mark