Hybrid Fruits: Mango Nectarine

Another new experience for me, and one which I highly recommend you try, the mango nectarine is a crossbreed between, you guessed it, a mango and a nectarine!

Not that it actually tastes like that,
but such is the science behind its existence.

The one in the photos is the size of a large plum. The outside has a soft fuzz to it, closer to a peach than a nectarine, and a more delicate skin as well.

The inside is lusciously juicy and sweet. The flavor reminds me of a banana rather than a mango—though maybe there’s a hint of those little yellow mangoes too. Mmmm…

So, let me ask you:

• What’s your favorite cross-breed?

• What do you think would be a fun combination?

Food Matters Documentary

8 Responses to “Hybrid Fruits: Mango Nectarine”

1. Courtney says:

That sounds so good! I wish someone would combine watermelon and blueberries…mmmmm….I have no idea what it would *look* like, but I bet it would taste delicious!!

Oooh, a blue watermelon. That would be fun!

3. shelley says:

mmm I need to try these, they sound delicious! I don’t think I have a fave crossed food. I tend to just eat the real thing….

You’ve got an amazing blog. I would love to be able to keep your link up on the Be Naturally Well community. We don’t have nearly enough voices for raw/vegan. Our forums will be up and running soon as well and hopefully you will find it of value to contribute once in a while.

Link here http://www.benaturallywell.com/blog/add-your-blog/

Many Blessings,
    Shelley

Thanks, Shelly, for the compliment. I’ll be sure to check out your community. Regarding these being “the real thing,” did you know the original wild carrots weren’t orange? The ones most of us eat today are descended from a specially-bred Dutch variety of the 1600′s.

5. Now that looks interesting!

I’m thinking…a pineapple banana might be interesting :D super sweet and creamy yet slightly tart at the same time.

Sarah, check this out. Ever heard of a monstera? I sure hadn’t until Sunnie over at the RawVegans Yahoo! group shared her experience with it. She described it as, get this, “Somewhat tangy like a pineapple but super soft like a banana.” As of this writing, there’s a photo of it in her album here.

7. Actually, the “Mango” Nectarine has no mango genes — it’s all nectarine — just a special variety that resembles a mango in color. Sorry to dissapoint!

Bummer. It’s been a while since I wrote this, so I don’t recall whether the grocery store’s description had it wrong or whether I got it from a site like this while looking up its nutrition information.

At the time of this reply, it states “These look a bit like yellow plums, but are in fact the cross between a mango and a nectarine.” However, it does appear more sites get it right than wrong, and I reckon we can trust the produce company, so thanks for correcting me.

Nevertheless, this post was a fun launching pad for all sorts of creative cross-breed, hybrid fruit dreams. So, you didn’t tell us… What would you combine? :)