Jicama, aka Yambean

If you can believe it, just the other day I brought home my very first jicama root from the supermarket. Seems I must’ve had it in a Mexican restaurant before, but maybe not. <shrug> Anyway, it felt like a new experience, and it was so good.

Of course, I enjoyed it raw initially to get a sense of its flavors. It struck me as a combination of a potato and a cucumber—really juicy. Then I doctored it up by dry frying in a skillet with onions before splashing in balsamic vinegar at the end. This gave it a nice caramelization and is the same way I tend to make eggplant too.

It took me a while to find the nutrition information for it in my software, since it’s listed in the USDA database under Yambeans. Lower-cal than potatoes, I’ll be having this one again soon. :)

8 Responses to “Jicama, aka Yambean”

1. Carol says:

Jicama – wonder whether I can find this in Australia? Sounds like a good new vegetable to try. I’ll ask at the farmers’ market tomorrow. Thank goodness for the growers’ markets springing up everywhere, fabulous fresh, organic fruit and veg.

2. Gypsy Girl says:

I just got back from Mexico. The way I saw jicama served was raw, cut in long, thin slices (like cucumber wedges) , they put them in a plastic bag, squeeze plenty of lime juice over them and then sprinkle with ground hot chile pepper. They also serve cucumber wedges the same way.
    You see them sold in the markets and on street corners. It makes a nice healthy and low cal snack.
    Never knew they were called yambeans…thanks, now I know where to find them on CRON-O-METER

Absolutely, they were great raw too. :) A timely discovery to have made—especially that dang listing in the nutrition software—as we close in on Cinco de Mayo. That’s so cool that you were just there. Was it your first time?

And welcome, Carol, from a fellow bibliophile. My Mom would like the intricate craft work you’re doing. I just read ‘em. Well, that and pile them up all over the place, as my to-read list far exceeds my free time. ;)

4. Gypsy Girl says:

We will be celebrating Cinco de Mayo with our family this Sunday (actually the 4th) We have just retunred home and I am armed with lots of great Mexican recipes.
    I have been to Mexico many times and fall in love with it more each time.
    Maybe I’ll publish a few recipes for Cinco de Mayo….if I have time. Must unpack, get reorganized and visit with family..not much time to blog
    I wish you peace, love and laughter
    GG

5. Courtney says:

I LOVE jicama! I have never had it cooked before–only raw. I will have to try it! Did you have a preference–cooked vs. raw?!

Courtney

As you have attested, it’s definitely good raw, but I think I’ll give the slight edge to cooked. Incidentally, it’s no wonder I hadn’t tried it until recently; the last few trips to the grocery since, it’s nowhere to be found. The first time, it was in with the potatoes, an area I don’t often visit.

7. Judith says:

It makes a fantastic addition to a simple raw veggie platter, just cut in slim fingers, as well as to stir-fries, cut in matchsticks. :-)

Amen to that. Now to find the dang things again. ;)