Black Friday vs Buy Nothing Day

What Are Your Plans For
Black Friday?
View Results

9 Responses to “Black Friday vs Buy Nothing Day”

1. Erika says:

So, today I was going to partcipate in buy nothing day, but my aunt really needed help because she was buying a large gift for her husband and couldn’t carry it by herself. But, I also saw a standup toolbox in the ad that I really have needed for a long time, so I purchased it for myself, but that is it!! I am done for the day!

O…K…, that’s “allowed.” Hehe.

My family has gradually been phasing out the big commercialized exchanges of gifts over the years, some more successfully than others. This year it sounds like we’re all in agreement; only a card and any homemade goodies we share while spending time together. :)

3. Carla says:

I guess I don’t have an opinion either way. I dont buy X-Mas gifts much (maybe for my SO and thats it). I shop for myself 99% of the time and I don’t thing is a bad thing ;) . I didn’t buy anything today, but I do have a list of clothes and shoes I need for the coming months that I will purchase in the next few weeks.

Oh, don’t get me wrong; I’m a shopaholic! Most of it online. Only for clothes or shoes, once or twice a year, will I whip into (and just as quickly out of) a physical store. And, of course, groceries, though, there are plenty of foods I order online in bulk. I guess I like Buy Nothing Day as a snub, a little protest of sorts, and as an exercise in self-control.

5. Irit says:

I’m all for the buy nothing day instead of “black” Friday! I don’t go near the stores (only to get my usual decaf coffee fix – but that is the only store I step into on this day). I will never understand why anyone in their right mind would get up at 4 am for the experience of fighting the crowds… Ever since I became a “minimalist” it has been the most freeing thing ever – I never buy anything more than I really need (less stuff that accumulates dust to – and less house cleaning!). love your blog Erin!

6. Courtney says:

My mom always boycotted Black Friday, and she has rubbed off on me! I refuse to buy anything the day after Thanksgiving…even fruits and veggies!
    Courtney

Wow! I just cast my vote for a successfully executed Buy Nothing Day. The results are in: 1 brave soul fighting the crowds, 1 shopping from the comfort of home, and 22 of us keeping the cash in the cache. You guys rock! I love my readers. :D Now, Cyber Monday on the other hand…?

Nice; I see we’ve received even more votes since I tallied them up. Seven to be exact. And they’re unanimous: Buy Nothing Day. Let me repeat, “You guys rock!” :)

9. I live right by the Mall of NH and it was crazy on black friday, I don’t know how people can wait in lines like that just to get a good deal. I drove by Best Buy at like 4am and there had to be 200-300 people just waiting for them to open, just madness! Needless to say I participated in “Buy Nothing Day” :) .