Mother’s Day

As is typical for my family when it comes to Sunday holidays, we celebrated the day before. It just tends to be more convenient for all involved. I asked Mom if she felt like being “adventurous” and she agreed. So, I treated her to a raw food picnic. I was more concerned that she would not be satiated than that she wouldn’t like something. I am happy to report neither was an issue! :)

Zucchini pasta with a “meaty” sauce made from fresh and sundried tomatoes, balsamic-marinated baby bella mushrooms and green peppers, diced vidalia onion, fresh basil, a touch of red wine, and other herbs and spices. A sprinkling of brewer’s yeast filled in for the traditional parmesan cheese.

Pickled coleslaw of red cabbage, carrots, daikon radish, lemon juice, apple cider vinegar, dill, mustard, and caraway seeds.

And the pièce de résistance; dessert…

Pear and apple baklava, the latter from Raw in Ten Minutes.

I also brought Mom her first ever avocado! She said she generally likes her fruit sweeter, but rather enjoyed the treat and could understand why others, myself included, like it so. Here’s an old photo I dug up from the archives. ;)

Good food, good weather, and most importantly, good company. A pleasant Mother’s Day indeed. My thoughts are with her today as she undergoes back surgery.
I love you, Mom!

8 Responses to “Mother’s Day”

1. Em says:

My thoughts are with her too.
    xx

Very sweet of you, Em. I just got word everything went well, and she’ll be coming home tomorrow to begin the lengthy convalescence.

3. Marjorie says:

Such a sweet son!

Marjorie

4. Emi Nakajima says:

I love your photos! I just started CR (sort of) and really like vegetables and fruit and only occasionally eat fish or seafood, so this is really inspiring, especially since you make it seem easy. I even told a friend about it last night because she was interested in new ways to prepare vegan dishes.
    P.S.: I’m not Em, I’m Emi. Don’t want anyone to get confused.

5. marianna says:

How do I make these two recipes?

Unfortunately, as I made these the evening before, and it was getting kind of late, I didn’t bother write down any measurements. I was going on instinct and frequent tastings, keeping in mind the time the flavors would have to meld overnight (particularly in the case of the pickled coleslaw). Perhaps next time. I’m glad they look and sound appealing enough to ask. ;)

7. 'River' says:

I was going to ask the same, Erin! They look wonderful – and I showed my dh and he was positively drooling (and no, we’re not rawfoodists but ya never know with great food like that being waved in front of us!). Lovely photos, of course, and the subject matter is first rate too!

I must say there seems to be an awful lot of food there – but I read elsewhere on your blog that you eat ca. 2000 calories a day, which explains it. (If I ate that many I would, I’m afraid, grooooooowwwww! LOL)

Again, a splendid blog entry! Thanks a bunch for the inspiration!!!

Love, River

Thanks. It’s always nice to hear that I’m providing inspiration for a healthy lifestyle. And here’s the beauty of high nutrient density food: that whole plate of “pasta” and coleslaw only comes in at a little over 200 calories! Of course, the dessert, full of nuts as it is, tips the scales, but I still managed to stay under 2100 calories for the day. I like to think, for an almost 5’11″ male, like myself, that’s still mildly CRON.