watermelon

It’s getting to be that time of year…

Believe it or not, I had never before bought my own watermelon! And for this, my first, I didn’t mess around. :)

Sure, they have the little ones, but they weren’t much reduced in price, so I figured there was no loss if I didn’t manage to get through this beast before it went bad. I think I’ll make it. LOL.

Thanks to my friend Keith, who encouraged me at the grocery store last month, pineapples are now a part of my fruit repertoire too. That’s the greater part of one cut up beside its bigger pal.

I used to think of watermelon as basically just receptacles for sugar water, good only for picnics and little kids. However, it turns out they are very high in vitamin C and even rival the lycopene content of tomatoes! Indeed, they rank among the “World’s Healthiest Foods.” Read all about their healthy goodness here then drink up. I mean, eat up. ;)

7 Responses to “watermelon”

1. Courtney says:

Watermelon is my absolute favorite food in the world! I cannot belive you had never bought one before! Enjoy it!

Courtney

I know, I know. <hangs head in shame> It probably comes with the territory of being single. They are, after all, huge fruits.

3. Valerie says:

Watermelon. Yum!
    VW

4. Marjorie says:

Hey Erin,

Are you going to post a picture of your melon belly?

Just kiddin’

Marjorie

5. carolyn says:

You know I have not stopped by here in a while. What’s wrong with me??? I love your post. I just read like 10 in a row!!

Hope you are well! Pics are awesome.

Promise to visit more often!

6. Chez Isaac says:

If you like pineapple – you will love this. It is called “Dump Cake” and it is sooo easy. All you do is dump one can of crushed pineapple, one can of cherry pie filling, one box of yellow cake mix, one stick of butter – cut into slices and placed evenly on top, half of a cup of walnut pieces (options). Put into a 9 x 12 (?) baking pan and bake at 350 until slightly brown on top. Serve with vanilla ice cream.

Interesting, Isaac. Of course, around these parts, such a recipe would need a little “veganizing.” ;)