Raw-Ba-Ghanoush

You can have eggplant on a raw foods diet!

Case in point, this baba ghanoush from The Raw Food Gourmet: Going Raw for Total Well-Being by Gabrielle Chavez.

As the recipe is not my own, you won’t get it here. However, I can tell you she gives a clever technique for tenderizing that I have not seen elsewhere. A before and after:

diced and bagged

stuffed cucumbers

Actually, that’s my pâté from the last post; hence the different color. However, it makes for a good serving suggestion. I felt it came out a little bitter, so I added some balsamic vinegar to round out the flavor, and that worked wonderfully. Quite tasty and easy to whip up.

8 Responses to “Raw-Ba-Ghanoush”

1. Arturo Veve says:

Hi Erin
    Oh, wow, a raw food baba ganoush. I can’t wait to try that. I’ll have to get the book. I will link to your blog from my blog. I posted two recipes yesterday that I already shared with you, by the way.
    Cheers,
    Arturo

2. joanna says:

Great Stuff! and the book looks awesome! I just started (or am about to start) with the raw foods. I’m excited to jump on the local/organic and raw bandwagon but it sometimes seems daunting. I keep hearing that it’s REALLY EXPENSIVE – but – anyhow – love your blog,,, :)
    joanna

3. Arturo Veve says:

Hi Erin
    I just received the book and I’m amazed how simple the recipe is, just like my other pate recipes. I can’t wait to make it this weekend. Also, there is a pickled beet recipe on the following page that looks interesting. But I bet you’re avoiding vinegar, if you’re following the natural hygienists.
    Cheers
    Arturo

Au contraire. The basic philosophy of Natural Hygiene, that health is the natural state of the body and is best accomplished by disencumbering it from toxins and, in the case of illness, misguided attempts at symptom relief, makes a lot of sense to me. However, I disagree with what constitutes a toxin. To my mind, vinegar, herbs, spices, cacao, etc., definitely do not qualify. ;)

5. keda says:

erin,

looks really good. checked out the recipe and it seems really high in fat (with all the tahini and oil). did you do some tweaking to lower the fat content or simply make the recipe as is.

i too am venturing into more raw (the comfort of cooked foods and not being totally persuaded that they are as bad as raw foodist make them out to be will keep me from being 100 but i average about 75 percent of my calories from cooked foods) but hoping to stay on the low-fat side of things.

-keda

I’m with you on the low-fat preference, so I didn’t use any oil and greatly reduced the amount of tahini. I made up for the moisture they impart, and cut the bitterness, by adding a little balsamic vinegar.

7. keda says:

thanks for the balsamic vinegar hint… i am going to try the recipe this week. oh, have you ever tried white balsamic vinegar? its a little milder than the regular version so is really good when i need a oil substitute (i use it in hummus) but don’t want the strong balsamicy taste.

by the way, i meant to say 75% of my calories come from RAW foods… (finals have turned my brain into mush.)

Yes, I have a lovely fig-infused white balsamic sitting alongside my other varieties (malt, tarragon, apple cider, brown rice, etc.). ;) Good luck with the recipe and better luck with your finals!