chess in the raw

Get your mind out of the gutter! ;)

On Saturday, I competed in a one-day chess tournament in the pleasant, small town of Bow, NH. Here is what I packed for raw sustenance.

A bag of lettuce and collard greens, a veggie spread, a banana, half a cantaloupe divided into two servings, pineapple, dates, and (ok, this isn’t raw…) soynuts.

A closer look at the pâté, displaying all its colorful flecks.

So, how’d I do? I won my first game in a satisfying reversal before being duly punished for some inaccuracies in the second round. Then, even though placing was not yet out of the realm of possibility, with the weather so nice (finally!), I decided to head out. Still, I had a good time, and it was great catching up with everyone in our little chess community.

It seems this has become something of a pattern with me. As concentrated as I can be at the board, my attention span for sticking out an entire event often wanes, unless I’m really doing well. The craving for a serious game or two quenched, it just feels like there are other things I could be doing. <shrug>

13 Responses to “chess in the raw”

1. jennifer says:

What an enormous, delicious looking lunch! I like soynuts- in high school I packed them in my lunch nearly every day.

I have great respect for people who play chess, and can play it well. My brother and I used to play it when we were kids, but once he started beating me, I lost interest.

Well, that was for the whole day, minus what I had for breakfast and an evening snack. To keep the brain well-nourished during a tournament, I always plan it so I have something to eat during each game.

3. hkgrace says:

erin,
    my blog is private now so email me at hkgraceblog at g m a i l dot com if you want me to invite you to be a reader!

4. Valerie says:

Hi Erin,
    I’ve read that raw food helps you think better so I’d be interested to hear if you think eating raw has improved your chess skills. (Smile) Great photos.
    VW

Thanks, Valerie. Well, I can hope. That would be a great benefit. Reckon it’s too early to tell yet though and only one tourney since starting, therefore, too few results from which to make an assessment.

6. Tommie says:

I learned chess in the raw. My husband had been trying to get me corralled long enough to teach me but I wouldn’t stay still. One night, I was taking a long soak and here he came with the board. He balanced it on the side of the tub and taught me that night. I was hooked! I’ve never been good but I’ve enjoyed a good game of chess now and then.

As for your lunch, I could have gone for everything but the soynuts. I stay away from those so my thyroid will thank me. I would have taken about four times as many bananas, too!

LOL. What a great story, Tommie. Alas, bananas are rather high in calories. So, as much as I enjoy them, and have one every morning with breakfast (even on this day), I moderate my consumption lest my CRON practice be too adversely affected.

8. 'River' says:

Have to say you’re an inspiration – all those lovely fruits and vegetables look absolutely delicious, and the obvious thing to take as a packed lunch. Didn’t remember you were on the Calorie Restricted eating regime – can you please let us know for how long you’ve been doing this? (Or don’t, of course – your privacy is
    important too.) I’m impressed! Hugs.

9. 'River' says:

Whoops, apologies. Now that I see my post I realize I shouldn’t have said ‘eating regime’ – it is of course a lifestyle choice. Sorry, my friend! More hugs.

Thank you so much, River. It feels really good to know that, by sharing my journey, others may benefit as well. I believe I started CRON in January 2003 after reading Beyond the 120 Year Diet : How to Double Your Vital Years, which I received as a gift from my father that Xmas.

11. 'River' says:

Thank YOU! :) Yes, my dh and I are both interested in CRON – not quite decided to change or anything, just ‘interested’ and talking about it, talking about it. I shall check out the book you mention. Many thanks. Hugs.

12. cimc says:

hello zenpawn I stumbled upon your blog, I’m also a chess player and I wanted to ask/discuss the question about does chess burns calories?
    I would appreciate your response I dont know if over here or icq/email
    so just in case cimc@walla.co.il.

p.s the food photos made me really hungry :)

No problem, cimc, I’ll email you and we can chat. In case anyone else is interested, if you check out the other posts in the chess category, you’ll see that I definitely believe it burns quite a bit in the way of calories. My nutrition program puts it at 11 calories for 20 minutes, but I don’t think that’s doing the mental effort justice, as it gives the same for reading while seated. On the other hand, it gives TV watching zero burn. LOL. Glad you liked the pics. Talk to you soon.