papaya

Another delightful discovery prompted by my raw food transformation: papaya!

Of course, I knew of their existence and probably even had them in fruit juices. However, at $2 each and often seemingly overripe, I hadn’t ventured a purchase of the whole fruit until recently (March 27). I am so glad I did too. What a succulently sweet fruit.

I’m particularly fond of the edible seeds, which taste like gelatinous black peppercorns. Great in a dandelion greens salad.

Perhaps an occasional treat, given the price in this neck of the woods, but far more satisfying and healthy (and containing both sweet and savory elements) than a similarly-priced ice cream cone. The experience has already been repeated. If you haven’t enjoyed one of these treasures of nature, I highly recommend you remedy that. :)

6 Responses to “papaya”

1. Mizzi says:

You’re gonna be jealous of me :)

I’m living in Bali and here we can buy papaya for around 50 cents each!

I agree they are wonderful and so good for the digestion because they contain natural digestive enzymes.

Thanks for creating your blog. I have really enjoyed your wonderful pictures.

2. Steffie says:

I’ve been lovin the papaya recently too! The first time I had one I liked it, but definately didn’t love it, then i tried one again, and I’ve been eating them like crazy ever since. I don’t think $2 is that bad of a price (same I pay) because normally (for me at least) they’re about 5 pounds each, 1 pound is seeds and skin, so that’s a lot of edible portion.

3. Priscilla says:

from a lurker:

Try squeezing a generous wedge of lime over the papaya. That’s how I learned to eat papaya when I lived in Hawaii. Amazing!

I have lurkers? Cool! ;)

5. Em says:

I just LOVE, LOVE, LOVE papaya…..
    yum,yum

6. Mizzi says:

Yes! Like Priscilla said. The lime makes it taste so much better. YUM!