Raw Alphabet (ABC) Soup

The vegan_cookoff is back in action with competitions every two weeks. I really enjoy the nudge they provide to invent something new. The latest is quite apropos my recent dietary changes: the Blender Challenge!

The basic ingredients:
1 small organic* Apple
1 small Beet
1 stalk organic* Celery
1/2 – 1 Cup water

(*) Why organic? Both apples and celery made the top 5 on this year’s list from the Environmental Working Group ranking produce by their pesticide load.

Core the apple, leaving on the skin. Wash the beet well, cut off the ends, and peel using a potato peeler. Roughly chop all the ingredients and combine in a blender with water, anywhere from a half to a full cup, depending on the desired thickness. Start processing on low then increase to top speed. Blend on high until smooth.

At this point, you have a slightly sweet, very fresh and delicious cold soup. I am learning many Natural Hygienists will stop here, viewing condiments, to include spices and herbs, as irritants or even toxins!

For the rest of us, here are some variations on the ABC theme:

anise seeds
basil and broccoli
cantaloupe and cinnamon for a sweet dessert soup
caraway seeds and cauliflower (as pictured)
cumin, chipotle, and cilantro (personal favorite)
curry powder
etc… Have fun! :)

7 Responses to “Raw Alphabet (ABC) Soup”

1. Sara says:

I had a load of beetroot in my veggie box this week and this came as wonderful inspiration and it’s delicious. I’ll be eating this all week now! Thank you. S.

2. Brooke says:

the raw cauliflower in the soup instead of cream – what a great idea! looks gorgeous.

3. Valerie says:

How pretty. I like the vegan cook-off idea. I was thinking one of these days I’m going to host a green smoothie blend-off, kind of along the lines of the old chili cook-offs.
    VW

Yep, that’s my soup! :) I’m glad you liked it and that you all kindly stop by to tell me as much. Valerie, the Vegan Cookoff is not my idea; I’m just a particpant. Your green smoothie blend-off sounds fun.

5. Elizabeth says:

Gorgous soup! Great site, so glad I found it (via Green Smoothie Experiment – Valerie’s blog). What blender do you use?

Thanks, Elizabeth. At the time, I was using a KitchenAid 5-Speed Blender. It did a fine job with this soup, but it was not as successful at making green smoothies, leaving them chunky with bits of kale or collards. I just bought a new Jack LaLanne HealthMaster 100 the other day, a Vitamix-strength blender at half the price! It passed my “kale litmus test” with flying colors. (BTW, sorry it took so long to respond; your comment got lost in cyberspace for a while.)