dates

Earlier this month, I received my order of dates. As a newbie to fresh dates, I wanted to try a variety. There are others on my list to track down and sample in the future, but this was all they had and certainly makes for a good introduction.

2 lb boxes

Medjhool

Halawi

Deglet Noor

These were all organically grown and undergo no post-harvest processing, not even a washing. The leaflet that comes with them even suggests a quick rinse to get the desert dust off! I ordered them from Pato’s Dream Date Gardens via localharvest.org.

The verdict? I’m hooked. The medjhool are so big, plump, and sweet. And the others have their own wonderful flavors and textures too. I’m very excited to have discovered these gems via my foray into raw foodism.

10 Responses to “dates”

1. Brooke says:

Yay! Those dates look great. When I was growing up in Florida, we used to get fresh-off-the-palm dates, and those are another thing altogether: like little apricots, but very firm (they only soften when dried).

2. Courtney says:

Yum! I love medjool dates. They are SO good…I cannot even buy them anymore because I eat way to many of them! Enjoy!

Courtney

3. Sierra says:

Oooo dates! I love them all, or at least all I’ve tried. If you want a particularly “sinful” treat, cut the date in half to remove the pit, then plopa little bit of almond butter in the cavity where the pit was. Dates and almond butter together taste better than just about any dessert I’ve had!

FYI, I use raw almond butter, too.

Already discovered that “sinful” treat, Sierra. ;) Thanks.

I hear ya, Courtney. That’s why I’ve self-imposed a restriction of one of each variety per day (~75 healthy calories).

6. Ksenia says:

Dates are a raw foodist’s best friend! Another “sinful” treat is eating a date and pecans simultaneously. They really do taste like caramel! [Kind of like raisins and walnuts tasting like fudge, or so I hear because I have not tried that yet.] Have you tried Dr. Fuhrman’s almond-carob fudge?

Indeed, mini pecan pies! I haven’t tried DF’s fudge yet. I’m not afraid of cacao though (rather an aficionado actually), so I’d probably make it chocolate instead of carob. :)

8. Mini pecan pies? How does one make a mini pecan pie?

Stuff a pecan into a date. LOL.

10. Anmry says:

hah – funny girl – from the magazine with Uma Thurman’s picture – Mudslide shake – 1 banana – dates (I used 3) – 2 tbs raw almonds – water – blend – yum!