strawberries

I’ve been toying with increasing the percentage of raw foods in my diet lately. Here is a typically colorful evening meal.

Finely diced onions, garlic, celery, jalapeno, carrots (or was it butternut squash?) and beets with larger chunks of zucchini and broccoli top a cooked spaghetti sauce of tomato paste, mushrooms, herbs, and spices.

I usually only buy organic frozen strawberries as they are among practically every top-10 pesticide list out there. For example, this one from the Environmental Working Group or this one from The Green Guide. However, while at my local produce market, I spotted these for 99¢ a pound! I couldn’t resist their freshness and picked up two. I had them over turnip greens with balsamic vinegar and a just cracked peppercorn medley.

9 Responses to “strawberries”

1. Melody says:

This looks delicious. I think as the weather gets warmer, I will focus more of raw foods as well.. I’d like to have several all raw days a week.. maybe more..

How many calories do you average a day?

Well… I log 1950-2000, but I know it’s more like 2100-2150 as there are some things I leave out or don’t want to admit. So, let’s go with that last number. I’m a 5’10.5″ male, by the way, with regular exercise of a daily morning walk for 30 minutes at 5 MPH on the treadmill and 2-3x/week on the Bowflex. According to this calculator, the above represents a calorie restriction of approximately 15%. (Note: This useful tool was created by a CRS member, but is not officially endorsed.)

3. Sierra says:

I’m really going to have to think about using “spaghetti” sauce over veggies. That sounds like a great idea. My hubby loves the veggies but he needs something hot – that may just fill the bill. That dish with the spaghetti sauce looks really yummy.

4. Arturo Veve says:

Hi Erin
    I never thought of putting pepper on strawberries with balsamic vinegar. Quite inventive.
    Cheers
    Arturo

5. Matt says:

Look real nice :)

I’ve also tried to increase more raw food into my diet lately… I usually go for steamed veggies because its easier on the stomach, especially onions.

6. Melody says:

Interesting Erin, I althought though you were female.. and I’m actually surprised that you can eat so many calories.. I guess that comes with being male.. (you lucky boy, you!).. I had it pictured that you were eating very little..

7. April says:

Melody,

For a male, especially one who is relatively young, that is a very low calorie level. Those of us who actually weigh and measure our food (as opposed to just guessing) find out that people are actually eating a lot more than they think. Erin’s calorie level is quite reasonable for a CR’d male. Those who report lower calorie levels are often, in fact usually, inaccurate in their estimations of how much they are eating.

april

8. Sierra says:

Erin – thanks for the idea on the spaghetti sauce! I chopped up lots of veggies and poured some 3 mushroom spaghetti sauce over the mix and it was seriously yummy. And kept me satiated for quite a while.

I’ve been eating more raw food and I find myself discovering nuances – like the organic crimini mushrooms I just got that are the best I think I’ve ever had. Wow. The raw food seems to give me energy too. I’m not totally raw or anything, but I’m getting into my salads, that’s for sure.

You bet, Sierra! I use the same trick with squash soup as the base. In both cases, all the veggies, making up the greatest substantive portion of the meal, remain raw, but the experience is one of cooked food. Also, this technique enables me to reconstitute dried mushrooms and to enhance lycopene or beta-carotene absorption.

I am currently reading The 80/10/10 Diet, and it is making an impression on me. I’m still stuck on my personal 20% protein goal, but am incorporating more raw fruits (and veggies). I’ll surely have more to say about the book once I finish.