Thanksgiving

It was a relaxing solo day of thanks, watching chess online and poker live on television later in the day, and, of course, cooking and eating. Indeed, I was a trencherman today! Two big meals and continuous snacking for this bachelor. :)

Spaghetti squash, kidney beans in tomato paste and chipotle powder, and a kale salad with tarragon vinegar.

Cheezy orzo (i.e., glucomannan pasta with brewer’s yeast) and broccoli.

Dogfish Head Indian Brown Ale (I hope their beer is vegan; it’s one of my favorite microbrews. I sent an email to their support department to verify.) Consider it confirmed! Their response: “Our ales are not made with any animal products.”

Get the recipe in Vegan Done Light.

Roasted brussels sprouts, onion, garlic, and jalapeno swimming in the last of the coconut curry sauce.

7 Responses to “Thanksgiving”

1. Courtney says:

Yum! Your food looks great. Hope you had a Happy Thanksgiving!
    Courtney

Thanks. Indeed, it was a happy day. My Mom and stepdad go out for their Thanksgiving meal, so I visited with them today instead. And my vegetarian father, with whom I usually share the holiday, recently moved out of state. But, I had a pleasant time cooking and eating up a storm and watching my “sports” of choice.

3. Denise says:

hello Erin,
    I’m Denise from your vegetarian group. Sorry that you spent the holiday on your own, but seems like you like your own company :) All your dishes looked wonderful. I’d like to know where in New Hampshire you buy the Dogfish Head Indian Brown Ale. I’m a vegan who lives in Maine and visits Manchester frequently to see family and always on the lookout for good brews. Thanks, Denise

I’ll gladly plug the place I buy my good microbrews: Gary’s Beverages in Portsmouth, NH. I believe (don’t quote me on this) Fiddlehead Farms, a great local foods grocery in Dover, NH, also carries a couple Dogfish Head options.

5. keda says:

i wanted to report back that i made a version of your squash cranberry dish. Substituted acorn for buttercup squash. couldn’t find toffee extract so substituted 1 part almond extract and 2 parts vanilla extract. i used no other spices at all (simply forgot) and left out the nuts (i’d like to say it was for caloric reasons but i forgot those as well). it was still wonderful. thanks for the inspiration

-keda

Thanks for the feedback. Truth be told, it may have been an acorn squash anyway; I don’t remember. LOL. I have made it since without the nuts as well (for caloric reasons). The cranberries really do get sweet once baked, it’s amazing. And so cool how they burst in your mouth. As for the toffee extract, it is very good, and lends more sweeness to the dish. I highly recommend it. You can purhcase some online from Spices Etc. at http://www.spicesetc.com/product/2894/6

7. LaDonna says:

Erin, your Thanksgiving dinner looks SO good! Great pictures and a yummy meal! Thanks for sharing!