homemade tempeh

My first successful batch of tempeh. This picture shows a quarter of the full 1.5 lb slab, cut into two 3 oz servings. It is much more delicious, richer, than the storebought kind!

tempeh

7 Responses to “homemade tempeh”

Bill, in answer to your question posted as a comment to my first entry, but actually referring to this one: Tempeh is usually made, as I have done here, from soybeans that have been cultured via the addition of a starter of Rhizopus oligosporus mold. It is then incubated for 24 hours at 85 to 90 degrees Fahrenheit.

2. ruud says:

Hi Erin, (saw yr intro on crcomm), do you eat the tempeh raw?

A nibble here and there while I prepare it for cooking, but not in any great quantity. I like it grilled or baked to give the outside a little crispiness. The inside stays nice and moist.

4. stef says:

erin, would you be able to post a recipe? thanks.

Stef, Here are a few good resources in answer to your question:

tempeh.info
    Mother Earth News, Sept-Oct 1977

The last link contains a series of pictures detailing one individual’s technique. He used his bathroom as the incubator, whereas I found it worked well to simply use the oven with just the light on.

Finally, for a more interactive experience, there is the Yahoo! TEMPEH group.

I am a member of that list. There you will find many more pictures, links, archived discussions, and have the chance to ask questions specific to your experience as you embark on your first and future batches.

Enjoy!

6. Sylvia says:

I have made this before (once) and mine didn’t quite turn out.. I think I messed up in the incubator stage. If I do it again, I’ll use the bathroom instead of the oven, my texture got all messed up. Hmm.

It can take some practice, but you’ll get it. I still want to go back and give natto another try; wasn’t successful the first go-round.